Homeowners are often told told to have their heating and cooling systems checked out by a heating contractor before powering on their systems at the beginning of winter. Although you should be able to heat your home with a simple turn of the thermostat, the health of your HVAC system depends on preventative maintenance care being performed. Your designated heating contractor can perform several critical tasks that will ensure that your house stays heated safely all winter long. Here are five pressing reasons to hire a heating contractor to inspect your HVAC system prior to turning it on in the winter.
1. Locating Potential Heating Leaks - Regardless of how heat is conducted and transferred in your home there could be leaks that impact efficiency. Home heating system being inspected by heating contractors prior to the start of winter are always examined for leaks and gaps that may cause heat to escape. Unless you have a professional heating contractor perform this service you won't know if your energy system has one or more leaks present.
2. Detecting Carbon Monoxide and Potential Fire Dangers - Even with a carbon monoxide monitor homeowners with furnace based heating systems are at risk of being exposed to this dangerous gas. In addition to checking the air in your home for carbon monoxide gas, your heating contractor will be able to set your furnace so that it doesn't get too hot. Potentially faulty wiring is also something that a trained heating contractor can quickly find when performing routine yearly heating system inspections.
3. Change or Clean Your Air Filters - Although air filters aren't difficult for even inexperienced laymen to change themselves, there's an important reason you will want a heating and cooling professional to look at your used air filters. Seeing the amount of dust on your used air filters can help your heating contractor to establish if troubleshooting other parts of your HVAC is needed. Once you've had your yearly HVAC maintenance appointment, you can go about changing your own air filters for about another year.
4. Testing Your HVAC System - If you turned on your HVAC system for the first time in many months would you know if it was fully operational? Chances are that the average homeowner wouldn't have any idea if something was amiss with their home heating system unless it simply didn't turn on at all. Ask your heating contractor to perform regular maintenance and your HVAC system will be tested thoroughly.
5. Reducing Chance of Excess Energy Consumption - Home heating units that are clogged with dust will not run effectively and can become more expensive for homeowners to operate. By scheduling a professional HVAC system servicing prior to the winter you can get your heating system cleaned out and avoid dealing with excess energy consumption. Why wait until you get your first winter energy bill to find out that your heating system is not tuned up properly when you can have an HVAC professional solve this issue in advance?
Maintain one of the most crucial systems in your house with an in-home professional heating contractor service appointment. Have a chance to review your repair options if your heating system requires an upgrade or repair instead of making a critical choice under pressure. Plan in advance to have your heating system inspected and quality checked and have an enjoyable winter season with your loved ones.